Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mothering

I think every woman and man for that matter needs a strong female role model.  Not everyone is blessed with one.  One thing is for sure...I was.  I feel sometimes that as a mother I can't live up to the way my mother raised me.  In my mind my mother never really very many major parenting mistakes.  She was always there for us.  She never said a swear word that I can ever recall.  She would lock herself in her room and take a nap when she was angry.  I don't remember getting spanked, but she did drive us to the store once to go buy a wooden spoon to spank us with...although I don't remember her using it.  She was at times brutally honest with us as we got older.  She told me to suck it up and bought me luggage when I graduated from high school because I was going to college and she wasn't going to "handicap me" by allowing me to live with her forever even though I probably would have happily.  She was and still is a tough cookie with a gentle and kind heart.  When my boys cry or are sick, I simply am just there and cuddle with them...because that's what my mom did.  She was there for us.  I still just sometimes want my mommy.  But now that I am the mommy I am the one to have the pleasure to be there and cuddle with my boys. 

I'm not sure where I get my quirkiness from as a mother:


I take joy in being my own person as a mom.  I add a little bit of fun into my daily life with my boys.  And I probably get some of that from my mom.  She is someone I definitely can laugh with.  We have our inside jokes and sometimes just get each other.  I truly hope my boys find me to be the same way as my mom.  As much as I want to be left alone to enjoy Mother's Day in my bed taking a nap (which I did do for a few hours!) my boys are the reason I'm a mom and I am thankful for them today! 



1 comment:

  1. Kimberly I so appreciate your nice words. I am grateful that you remember your childhood with affection and good memories, and I am amazed that the things I tried to teach, you remember. Now that you are a Mother you will have days when you don't think your boys hear one word you are saying, but they do and they will remember all you have taught them, if you remain consistent. You are a wonderful Mother. Ian & Dalton are lucky to have you as their Mommy. One more thing, I did use a wooden spoon once in a while, but I kept breaking them. That is why we had to go to the store, to buy another one. Love you, M

    ReplyDelete